بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Ibn Hajar Haytami placed Humiliating Others in Islams list of Enormities and he defined it as, blackening a Muslim’s name and searching out his shameful points so as to disgrace and humiliate him before others.
Enormities are the Major sins of Islam which include acts like Murder, about which the Prophet (saws) said stay away from the enormities and i will guaranty you heaven and He (saws) similarly said Allah forgives a Muslim his minor sins.
It is not permissible in Islam to transmit knowledge from a person who is involved in humiliating others they are untrustworthy people as Narrators, Judges, Faqih or Leaders in the Community.
The transmitter must be an upright person (‘adl) at the time of reporting the Hadith. The minimum requirement of this condition is that the person has not committed a major sin and does not persist in committing minor ones; nor is he known for persistence in degrading profanities such as eating in the-public thoroughfare, associating with persons of ill repute and indulgence in humiliating jokes.
The ullumah have said, Merely making people feel that the way of his travel is unsafe is to commit an enormity, so how than if such a person should take money?
Allah Most High says to the people who Hurt and Revile Muslims:
(1) “Those who hurt believing men and women who have done nothing to deserve it shall bear the burden of calumny and open sin (Koran 33:58).
(2) ‘Do not spy and do not slander one another (Koran 49: 12).
(3) Woe to whoever disparages others behind their back or to their face” (Koran: 104:1).
(4) Verily, as for those who like [to hear] foul slander spread against [any of] those who have attained to faith grievous suffering awaits them in this world and in the life to come: for God knows [the full truth], whereas you know [it] not. (Koran 24:19).
The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said:
(1) The Muslim is the brother of the Muslim. He does not oppress him, hang back from coming to his aid, or belittle him. It is sufficiently wicked for someone to demean his fellow Muslim,”
(2) By Allah, he does not believe. By Allah, he does not believe. By Allah, he does not believe,” Someone asked, “Who. O Messenger of Allah?” And he said, “He whose neighbor is not safe from his evil conduct.”
(3) Someone said, O Messenger of Allah, So-and-so spends her nights praying and her days fasting, but there is something in her tongue that maliciously injures her neighbors.” He replied, “There is no good in her, she will go to hell”
(4) “When I was taken up in the Ascent (Mi’raj), I passed by people with fingernails of copper who were raking their faces and chests with them. I asked, ‘Who are they, Gabriel?’ and he said, ‘They are those who slandered others and attacked their reputations.” “
(5) “No man charges another with corruption or unbelief, save that the charge returns against himself if the other is not as he said,”
(6) Do not revile the dead, for they have gone on to what they have sent ahead.
“Verily, those who offend Allah and His messenger are cursed by Allah in this world and the next, and He has prepared for them a humiliating torment” (Koran 33:57),
The Reality of the Act of Humiliating Others
Muawiyah said I heard the Apostle of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم (Peace be upon him) say: If you search for the faults of the people, you will corrupt them, or will nearly corrupt them. Abu Darda (May Allah be pleased with him) said: These are the words which Muawiyah himself heard from the Apostle of Allah (Peace be upon him), and Allah benefited him by them.[Sunan Abu Dawood, Hadith no. 4888]
Searching for people’s Faults is a source of corruption in society, in searching for the fault of a person your are also spying so in reality you are committing the Sin of searching for a persons fault, the Sin of Spying, the Sin of Slander and the Sin of spreading corruption on earth, and Allah said about people who do this from a place of Authority in the Quran;
The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement (5:33)
إِنَّ اللّهَ لاَ يُصْلِحُ عَمَلَ الْمُفْسِدِ ينَ
This is the reality of the Jassus (spy) who spreads corruption among people;
“Allah loves not those who do mischief.” (28:77),
“And hold in your mind’s eye what was the end of those who did mischief” (7:86)
“So see what was the end of those who made mischief.”(7:103)
“Truly Pharaoh elated himself in the land and broke up its people into sections, depressing a small group among them: their sons he slew, but he kept alive their females: for he was indeed a maker of mischief.” (28:4) Continue reading