The Categories of Oppression
To understand the topic of oppression, we can divide the subject matter into 5 areas;
- – Al-Zulm: Oppression.
- – Al-Zaalem: the Oppressor
- – Al-Mu’aawin A’la Al-Zulm: the Collaborator
- – Al-Saaket Ala Al-Zulm: The one who is Silent about the oppressors or oppression.
- – Al-Mazloum: the Oppressed.
1) AL-ZULM (OPPRESSION)
The Meaning of Al-Zulm in Arabic
The word Al-Zulm (oppression) is opposite to the word Al-A’del (justice) and is derived linguistically from the word Zalama which means the following: Injustice, Darkness, Aggression, Doing the Inappropriate and Preventing a right etc.
The Definition of Al-Zulm or Oppression In Juristic Terminology
Al-I’tidaa Ala Al-Huqouq Bedoun Wajih Shar’ie – Aggression against Rights without a Divine Permit.
The Types of Rights or Al-Huqouq:
- – Haq ul-Allah or Rights of Allah: e.g. Legislation, Worship, etc.
- – Haq ul-A’bid or Rights of the Servant: e.g. Protection of his/her life, money etc.
- – Haq ul-Ummah or Rights of Muslims: e.g. Unity, Leadership, Authority etc.
- – Haq ul-A’aam or Public Rights: e.g. Protecting the environment, public property, animals, rivers etc.
- – Haq ul-lmaam or Rights of the state: e.g. Obeying the rules and regulations of the state i.e. Khaleef.
2) AL-ZAALEM (THE OPPRESSOR)
The Meaning of Al-Zaalem (Oppressor) In Arabic
Al-Mutadi: Aggressor, Al-Jaa’er: Unjust, Al-Ghashim: The one who prevents a right and the one who does the inappropriate etc.
The Definition of Al-Zaalem (Oppressor) In Juristic Terminology
Al-Mu’tadi Ala Al-Huqouq Bedoun Wajih Shar’ie – The Aggressor against Rights without a Divine Permit
3) AL-MU’AAWIN (THE COLLABORATOR)
The Meaning Of Al-Mu’aawin (Collaborator) In Arabic
AL-Munaaser: Supporter, Al-Musaa’ed: Assistant, Al-Mu’aazer: Helper, Al-Mu’aieed: Propagator, Al-Mumawell: Funder, Az-Zaheer: Back-up, Al-Muta’amer: conspirator Al-Mushajji’: Motivator. Etc.
The Meaning Of Al-Mu’aawin A’la Al-Zulm (Collaborator) In Islam
The Collaborator is with the oppressor in his aggression. In the collection of Ibn Majah in the book of Al-Ahkam, Hadith no.2320, it is narrated upon the authority of Ibn Omar that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Whoever assists, in any dispute, in oppression or collaborates with the oppressor he will continue with the anger of Allah until he perishes (dies).”
4) AL-SAAKET (SILENCE)
The Meaning Of Al-Saaket A’la AL-Zulm (The One Who Is Silent About Oppression & Oppressors) In Arabic
Al-Muqqer Ala Al-Zulm: The one who consents about Oppression.
Al-Muhmel U-Zaalem: The one who Ignores the Oppression and Oppressors.
Al-Lamubaali Lil-Zulm: The one who does not bother about Oppression and Oppressors.
The Meaning Of Al-Saaket A’la Al-Zulm: (The One Who Is Silent About Oppression) In Islam
It is narrated in the book of Ibn Hibbaan that the Messenger Muhammad (SAW) said: “If anyone of you sees an aggressive oppressive ruler who makes the unlawful lawful, who dishonours Allah Rights, who governs over people not by what Allah (swt) has revealed without rising against him with a word or action, Allah (swt) Will punish him with the oppressor”.
In addition, it is narrated by Al-Mu’jam Al-Kabeer of At-Tabarani that the Messenger Muhammad (SAW) said: “The one who is silent about Haq (rights) is a dumb Shaytaan.”
5) AL-MAZLOUM (THE OPPRESSED)
The Meaning of Al-Mazloum (The Oppressed) In Arabic
The one to whom injustice has been done.
The Definition of Al-Mazloum (The Oppressed) In Juristic Terminology
The one whose divine rights have been under verbal or physical attack.
The Types of Oppressed:
- – Individuals: e.g. sincere scholars, Mujahid, members of Islamic parties, Kurds, ordinary people etc.
- – Groups.
- – People: e.g. The Muslim Ummah, minorities, children around the world etc.
- – Countries: e.g. Palestine, Kashmir, Iraq, Bosnia, Chechnya, Rwanda, Somalia etc.
- – Schools of thought: e.g. Shi’ah of Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the Sunni of Iran etc.
The Types of Oppression
Allah (swt) has given many examples of oppression and oppressors in the Qur’an. We list below just some of these:
1. Polytheism– Al-Shirk: Allah (swt) says: “Polytheism or Al-Shirk is great oppression” [31:13]
2. Disbelief – Al-Kufr: Allah (swt) says: “The Disbelievers are Oppressors” [2:254] He (swt) also says: “..Who does more oppression, than he who disbelieves in Allah..” [6:21]
3. Fabrication about God – Al-Kazib A’la Allah: Allah (swt) says: “..Whosoever fabricates something attributing it to Allah they are the oppressors” (e.g. The Kufar, The Jews etc..) [3:94]
4. Ruling by Man made laws – Al-Hukm Bil-Kufr: Allah (swt) says: “..Whoever does not rule by what Allah has revealed, they are the oppressors..” [5:45]
5. Misquoting intentionally – Tabdeel Al-Qawol: Allah (swt) says: “..The oppressors among them intentionally misquoted what has been sent to them so we sent to them punishment from heaven because they oppressed by misquoting..” [2:59]
6. Transgressing the limits Allah has set – Ta’addi Hudoud ul Allah: Allah (swt) says: “..This is the limit of Allah and whoever transgresses the limit of Allah he oppresses himself..” [65:1]
7. Sin – Ithem: Allah (swt) says: “..We did not send a messenger but to be obeyed in accordance to the will of Allah, if only they had come to you to ask forgiveness because of their oppression i.e. Sin of disobeying you..” [ 4:64]
8. Inclining towards, supporting or accompanying Oppressors – Al-Rukoun: Allah (swt) says: “..And do not incline towards nor support or accompany the oppressor or hell-fire will seize you..” [11:113]
9. Living amongst Oppressors – Al-Sakan fi Manazelhim: Allah (swt) says: “..And you lived amongst or in the houses of the oppressors and we showed you what we dealt them, so take heed..” [14:45]
10. Taking Disbelievers as friends – Tawali Al-Kufaar: Allah (swt) says: “..Do not take for protectors your brothers and fathers if they are Kaafir, and if any of you do you commit oppression.” [9.23] and also “Whoever takes Kufar as friends are oppressors.” [60:9]
11. Misusing the property of Orphans – Aakil Ma’al Al -Yateem. Allah (swt) says: “..Those who unjustly misuse the property of orphans, consume fire into their bodies..” [4:10]
12. Rejecting revelation – Al-Juhud Bil-Ayaat: Allah (swt) says: “None but the oppressors reject our revelation..” [29:49]
13. Mocking, Slandering and using offensive Nicknames – A’dam Al – Tawuba: Allah (swt) says: “..Do not make mockery of each other whether women to women or men to men, nor slander each other or use offensive nicknames, the evil action is to call someone a Kafir after he has believed; those who do no desist are oppressors.. “[49:11]
14. Preventing remembrance of Allah in the Mosque – Mani’ Al-I’lm Fil – Masaajid: Allah (swt) says: “Who is a greater oppressor than he who forbids Zikr (i.e. studying, culturing, teaching and preaching) in the mosque..” [2:114]
15. Giving false Testimony – Katem Al-Shahadah: Allah (swt) says: “..Who are more oppressive than those who hide the testimony.” [2:140]
16. Lying about Revelation – Iddi’aa Al -Wahi: Allah (swt) says: “..Who is more of an oppressor than the one who lies about Allah or says: ‘I have received revelation’ when he has received none..”[6:93]
17. Misguiding the People -Tadhlell Al-Naas: Allah (swt) says: “..Who does more oppression than he who leads the people astray.”[6:144]
18. Murdering – Al-Qatel: Allah (swt) says: “..If anyone is killed unlawfully the oppressed’s family will have the right to forgive or ask for blood money.” [17:33]
Punishment of Oppressors
The punishment for those who commit oppression will be severe, unrelenting and without mitigation. The list below shows some of the verses from the Qur’an where Allah (swt) mentions such punishment:
1. Allah’s promise of punishment – Al-Wa’eed Bil-A’zaab: Allah (swt) says: “Whoever oppresses we shall punish and when he returns to his Lord He will punish him with a punishment unheard of (Before)..” [18:87]
Allah (swt) also says: “If only the Oppressors could see the punishment; that to Allah belongs All power and that He will punish severely” [2:165]
2. Punishment from heaven – Al-Rijz Mina-Al-Samaa: Allah (swt) says: “So we sent to the Oppressors Punishment from heaven, for they infringed (Our command) repeatedly” [2:59]
3. Severe punishment – Azaab Ba’ees: Allah (swt) says: “When they disregarded the warnings that had been given to them. we rescued those who forbade evil; but we visited the oppressors with a grievous punishment, because they were given to transgression” [7.165]
4. Complete annihilation – As-Saihah: Allah (swt) says: “The (mighty) blast overtook the oppressors, and they lay prostrate in their homes before the morning” [11:67]
Allah (swt) also says: “When our decree issued, we saved Shu’aib and those who believed with him, by (special) mercy form ourselves but the (mighty) blast did seize the oppressors, and they lay prostrate in their homes by the morning” [11:94]
5. No support or intercession on the Day of Judgement – La Takhfeef Lil-Azaab: Allah (swt) says: “When the oppressors (actually) see the penalty, then will it in no way be mitigated, nor will they receive respite” [16:85]
6. Drowning – Al-Gharaq: Allah (swt) says: “And address Me not in favour of the oppressors; for they shall be drowned (in the flood)” [23:27]
7. Destruction of houses – Damaar Buyutihim: Allah (swt) says: “Now such were their houses in utter ruin, because they practiced oppression” [27:52]
8. Making them dumb – Al-Kharass: Allah (swt) says: “And the word will be fulfilled because of their oppression, and then they will be unable to speak (in plea)” [27:85]
9. Hell-Fire -A’zaab Al-Naar: Allah (swt) says: “And we shall say to the Oppressors: Taste ye the punishment of the fire” [34:42]
10. Punishing their wives – Hashrihim ma’ Azwajahum: Allah (swt) says: “Bring ye up, it shall be said, the oppressors and their wives and the things they worshipped besides Allah, and lead them to the path of the fire” [37:22]
11. No compensation will be accepted – Al-Fiddyah Bil-Kul Al-A’rdh: Allah (swt) says:
“Even if the oppressors had all that there is on Earth, and as much more (in vain) would they offer it for ransom from the pain of the punishment on the Day of Judgement” [39:47]
12. No mercy – Hirmaan ar-Rahmah: Allah (swt) says: “My Mercy will not extend to the oppressors”[2:124]
13. Animosity towards oppressors – Al- U’dwaan A’la Al -Zaalemeen: Allah (swt) says: “And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; But if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those oppressors” [2:193]
14. Hell-fire forever – Al-Naar: Allah (swt) says: “Their abode will be the fire; and evil is the home of the oppressors” [3:151]
A Warning to the Oppressors
Those who transgress the limits set by Allah (swt) have been given clear warning of punishment in the Qur’an:
1. Warning to Sects – Al-Wa’eed: Allah (swt) says: “But sects from among themselves fell into disagreement.. Then woe to the oppressors, from the penalty of a grievous day” [43:65]
2. Admonishment – Al-Nazeer: Allah (swt) says: “And before this, was the book of Moses as a guide and a mercy; and this book confirms (it) in the Arabic tongue; to admonish the oppressors, and as glad tidings to those who do right” [46:12]
3. Holding back Wives – Al-Muallakkah: Allah (swt) says: “Either take them back (i.e. divorced women) on equitable terms or set them free on equitable terms; but do not take them back to injure them or to take undue advantage; if anyone does that, he does oppression to his soul” [2:231]
4. Right over oppressors – Al-Sabeel Ala Al-Zalamah: Allah (swt) says: “The blame is only against those who oppress men with oppression and insolently transgress beyond bounds through the land, defying right and Justice” [42:42]
5. Do not take oppressors as friends – Al-A’adh Ala Al-Assabi’: Allah (swt) says: “The day that the oppressor will bite at his hands, he will say ‘Oh! Would that I had taken a (straight) path with the Messenger! Ah! Woe is me! Would that I had never taken such a one for a Friend!” [25:27-8]
6. Speak against them – Al-Jaher: Allah (swt) says: “Allah does not like people to speak bad openly about anyone, except where there has been oppression” [4:148]
7. No Intercession – Laa Shaa’ah: Allah (swt) says: “No intercessors will the oppressors have, who could be listened to” [40:18]
8. In the Musnad of Imam Ahmed, vol.5, p.72, It is narrated by Abu Hara Al-Raqashi that the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said “Listen to me and you will be saved, do not oppress! Do not oppress! Do not oppress!”
9. In the collection of Tabarani, in his book Al-Musnad Al-Kabir, it is narrated upon the authority of Ummamah that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “My intercession will never reach two kinds of people from my Ummah: an Oppressive, aggressive ruler and one who lies about the rules of Allah but does not comply with his fabrications himself”.
10. In the collection of Bukhari, it is narrated upon the authority of Abu Musa that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Allah will delay punishment of the oppressor but when He (swt) punishes him he will never escape” and He (saw) quoted from the Qur’an: “Verily the punishment of Allah is severe for the people of a city whose residents are oppressors” [11:103]
11. In the collection of Muslim, it is narrated upon the authority of Ibnu Hisham that the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said: “Allah will punish those who torture people.”
A Warning to the Silent
It is a mercy from Allah that He (swt) sent to all nations a messenger to warn their people no tto oppress each other and He (swt) sent Muhammad (saw) to all of mankind as a mercy and guidance to remove all kufr and to make the Deen of Islam dominant. Since no messenger will come after Muhammad (saw) it is our responsibility to forbid evil (munkar) and to enjoin good (maoruf). If we do not do this wherever we are i.e. if we remain silent about the oppression we have been warned of punishment by Allah (swt). The oppressor, his assistant and the one who is silent about the oppression are equal in their oppression and will all be subject to punishment in the hereafter. Some verses from the Qur’an warning those who remain silent or assist in oppression are listed below:
1. Sharing the punishment – Al-Musharakah Bil-A’zaab: Allah (swt) says: “When Ye have done oppression, it will avail you nothing that day and ye shall be partners (with the evil companion or oppressor) in punishment” [43:39].
Allah (swt) also says: “For the oppressors their portion is like unto the portion of their fellows (of earlier generations)” [51:59]
2. The family of the oppressor – Azwaj Al-Zalamah: Allah (swt) says: “Bring ye up, it shall be said, the oppressors and their wives, and the things they worshipped besides Allah” [37:221
3. Punishment – Al-Fitnah Wa All-A’zaab: Allah (swt) says: “And fear tumult or punishment, which affecteth not in particular (only) those of you who do oppression and know that Allah is strict in punishment” [8:25]
4. Inclining towards the Oppressor – Al-Rukun ila Al-Zalamah: Allah (swt) says: “And incline not to those who do oppression, or the fire will seize you” [11:113]
5. Living among oppressors – Al-Sakan fi Manazelhum: Allah (swt) says: “And ye dwelt in the houses of men who oppressed their own soul; ye were clearly shown how we dealt with them” [14:45]
6. Removing Baraqah – Al-Zulm Yahjub Al-Tayeibaat: Allah (swt) says: “For the oppression of the Jews we made unlawful for them certain (foods) good and wholesome” [4:160]
7. Removing security – AL-Zulm Yahjub Al-Aamin: Allah (swt) says: “It is those who believe and confuse not their beliefs with oppression – that are (truly) in security” [6:82]
8. Destruction of Nations – Damar Al-Qura bi-Sabab Al-Zulm: Allah (swt) says: “How many populations did I give respite which were given to oppression? In the end I punished them. To me is the destination (of all)” [22:48]
9. Similar punishment as those who oppressed in the past – Halak AL-Zaallemoun; Allah (swt) says:
“Think ye, if the punishment of Allah comes to you (as it did to the oppressors before) Whether suddenly or openly, will any be destroyed except those who do wrong” [6:47]
10. Destruction of cities – Halak Al-Qura: Allah (swt) says: “Nor was thy Lord the one to destroy a city until He had sent to its centre a messenger rehearsing to them our signs: nor are we going to destroy a city except when its members practice oppression” [28:59]
11. Sitting with oppressors – Al-Jullus Ma’: Allah (swt) says: “Sit not thou in the company of the oppressors” [6:68]
12. Oppressors appointed over us – Tawuliyat ul Zaalimeen A’la Al-Saakiteen: Allah (swt) says: “Thus do we make the oppressors turn to each other because of what they earn” [6.129] and
Allah (swt) says: “it is only oppressors (that stand as) protectors, one to another” [45:19]
13. Oppressors with those who are silent – A’azaab Al-Zatim Al-Saakit: Allah (swt) says: “They treated as false the signs of their Lord so we destroyed them for their crimes, and we drowned the people of Pharaoh: for they were all oppressors” [8:54]
14. Listening to oppressors – Al-Sama’ Lil-Zaalimeen: Allah (swt) says: “And there would have been some among you who would have listened to them but Allah knoweth well those who oppress” [9:47]
In addition there are many ahadith which warn those who do not address the oppressors or ensure the rights of the oppressed. We list some of these below:
1. In the collections of Tirmizi, Abu Daoud and in the Musnad of Imam Ahmed. vol.1, p.7, it is narrated upon the authority of Ismael bin Qais that Abu Bakr Siddique (ra) delivered a sermon in which he said: ‘Oh people, you may recite this verse: “Oh believers watch out but you will not be accounted for the misguidance of others” but I heard the Messenger Muhammad say: ‘if people see an oppressor and do not stop him Allah will punish them all”
2. In the collections of Abu Daoud and Baihaqi it is narrated upon the authority of Urss Bin Umayra Al-Kindi that the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said: “If the oppression or evil becomes widespread on Earth, the one who witnesses it and rejects it will be as if he were absent and whoever is absent at the time of the oppression but consents to it or is silent about it, it will be as if he witnessed it (i.e. participated in it)”.
3. In the collections of Tabarani, lbnu Hibban and Baihaqi it is narrated upon the authority of Jabir that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said: “How could Allah bless people who do not ensure the rights of the weak (oppressed) from the harsh (oppressors)”.
4. In the collection of Tabarani it is narrated upon the authority of Ibn Abbas (ra) that the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said: “Allah will never forgive those who are not ruled over in accordance to what Allah has revealed and who do not ensure the rights of the weak (oppressed) which have been taken by the oppressors.”
5. In the collection of Ibn Hibban, Tabarani and Baihaqi, it is narrated upon the authority of Abu Said Al-Kidri that the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said: “No one of you should keep silent about the truth (if he sees or hears falsehood) out of fear of the people” and in other narration’s collected by Baihaqi and Ibn Najar, it is narrated upon the authority of Ibn Abbas (ra) that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “No one of you should fear the people when he speaks the truth or addresses the oppression because his saying will never make him near rto his Ajal (lifespan) nor will it distant him from his Rizq (provision).”
6. In the collections of Al-Hakim, Al-Tabarani and in the Musnad of Imam Ahmed, it is narrated upon the authority of Abdullah Ibn Omar (ra) that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “If you see my Ummah afraid to say to the oppressors, ‘You are oppressors’ Allah will desert them.”
7. In the collection of Ibn Hibban, it is narrated upon the authority of Abdullah bin Khabbab that his father said: “We were sitting outside the Prophet’s house and he emerged and said: “Listen to me” and we said “We are listening” and He said “Listen to me” and we said “We are listening” and then He said, ‘There will be after me rulers, they will tell lies and they will oppress, do not believe their lies nor help them in their oppression. Whoever does so l am free of him and he will never come to my Hawodh (place) of intercession.'”
8. In the Musnad of Imam Ahmed, Vol.2, p.96, It is narrated upon the authority of Abdullah Ibn Omar that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Do not enter houses or cities of the oppressors except if you are keen to get what they will get.”
9. In the Musnad of Imam Ahmed, Vol.1, p.449, it is narrated upon the authority of Abdullah bin Abdul Rahman that his father said the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said: “Whoever assists his own Qawm (i.e. groups, tribe, people) in oppression he is like the animal who has fallen down from a mountain suffering because of his sin (i.e. Because of his collaboration).”
10. In the collection of Ibn Majah in the book of Al-Ahkam, Hadith no.2320, it is narrated upon the authority of Ibn Omar that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Whoever assists, in any dispute, in oppression or collaborates with the oppressor he will continue with the anger of Allah until he perishes (dies).”
11. In the collection of Ibn Hibban, it is narrated upon the authority of Ibn Masood that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Allah ordered the angels to lash a servant 100 times in his grave. He supplicated to Allah until only one lash remained ordered and then his grave filled with fire. When he was called (on the day of Judgement) he asked why he suffered and the angels said: you prayed without purity and you passed by the oppressed without supporting him”.
12. In the collection of Imam al Munzari, it is narrated upon the authority of Ibn Abbas that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: ‘Allah said “By my dignity and holiness I will punish the oppressor sooner or later and I will punish with him whosoever saw the oppressed and did nothing.'”
Resisting & Rejecting Oppressors
Allah (swt) has given those who enjoin righteousness and forbid evil wherever they may be, his promise of forgiveness. Even if they live in the midst of all types of oppression and are surrounded by all types of transgression against Allah’s (swt) laws those who address the oppression will be as if they were absent whilst those who remain silent, even if they were far away at the time, will be counted among the oppressors:
1. Preventing Punishment -Yarma’ Al-A’zaab: Allah (swt) says: “(The Messengers were sent) thus, for the Lord would not destroy the towns unjustly whilst their occupants were unwarned” [6:131].
And Allah (swt) also says: “Nor would thy Lord be the one to destroy the towns unjustly while their people are righteous” [11:117]
2. Preventing fear – Yamna’ Al-Khawouf: Allah (swt) says: “But he who works deeds of righteousness, and has faith, will have no fear of harm nor of any curtailment (of what is his due)” [20:112]
3. Listening to them – Al-Samaa’ Lil Zaalem: Allah (swt) says: “And there would have been some among you who would have listened to them. But Allah knoweth well those who do oppression” [9:47]
4. Safe from the fire – Al-Najaat: Allah (swt) says: “And we shall save those who guarded against evil, and we shall leave the oppressors therein, (humbled) to their knees” [19:72]
5. In the Musnad of Imam Ahmed, vol. 4, p.14, upon the authority of Abbas Bin Mirdas it is narrated that the Messenger Muhammad (saw) supplicated to Allah on the day of Arafat for his Ummah for forgiveness and mercy and Allah responded: “I have granted forgiveness for your Ummah except for those who oppress each other”.
6. In the collection of Tirmizi, it is narrated upon the authority of Jabir that the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said: “The master of martyrs is Hamza Bin Abdul Mu’talib and a man who is killed because he stands against a tyrant ruler commanding him good and forbidding him evil.”
7. In the collections of Ibn Majah and Imam Ahmed, it is narrated upon the authority of Abu Umayah that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said to a man who asked him: “Which type of Jilhad is the best? That He (saw) said “A word of truth against a tyrant ruler.”
8. In the Musnad of Imam Ahmed, Vol.2, p.305, it is narrated upon the authority of Abu Hurairah that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) used to make du’a (supplication) and say: “Oh my Lord I seek refuge in you from poverty, shortage of money, humiliation and I seek refuge in you from being oppressed or an oppressor.”
9. In the collection of Ibn Majah in the book of Al-Fitan, Hadith No. 4004, it is narrated upon the authority of Aisha (ra) that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Command good and forbid evil otherwise you will supplicate and Allah will never respond to you.”
10. And in another narration, it is narrated upon the authority of Abu Ubaida that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Except if you stand against the oppressors and force them to the truth.”
Rejection Of The Oppressors Way
The Ummah of Muhammad (SAW) is suffering today not only because of the lack of an Islamic authority or because Muslims do not do their duty but also because Muslim individuals and Muslim groups do not co-operate. The collective action usually merits more reward then the individual action however we find that Islamic groups and parties today spend much time, effort and resources either backbiting and boycotting each other or attacking each other in their literature and circles. It is time that we co-operated on good deeds and worked together for the revival of the Ummah whether as individuals, groups, parties or organisations as required by Allah (swt) in the Qur’an. Those who reject the call to do good have been warned by Allah (swt):
1. Co-operation – Al-Ta’aawun A’la Al-Birr: Allah (swt) says: “Co-operate in good deeds (Fard, Mandoub, Mubaah) and piety and not in sin (Haram) and transgression; and fear Allah for Allah is strict in punishment” [5:2]
2. They will not be guided – Dhalalah: Allah (swt) says: “Who doth greater oppression than one who forges falsehood against Allah, even as he is being invited to Islam? And Allah guides not those who do oppression” [61:7]
3. Turning away from the truth – Al-I’raadh Ann Al-Haq: Allah (swt) says: “And who doth more oppression than one who is reminded of the signs of his lord but turns away from them” [18:57]
A Final Point
Allah (swt) says: “Those who conceal the clear (signs) we have sent down, and the guidance, after we have made it clear for the people in the book, on them shall be Allah’s curse, and the curse of those entitled to curse.” [2 : 159].
And the Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: “Whoever hides knowledge, Allah will seal his mouth with fire”
- The type of Quranic and Ahadith quotes mentioned above are what is known as Khass (specific) in Legal terminology. Legal rules or commands conveyed in specific terms are definite in application and are not normally open to Tawil (disambiguation). There is general agreement that Khass is Qati (definitive), i.e. it’s meaning and application are beyond doubt, clear and need no further explanation.
- The article was modified from the original it was political in nature, which isn’t the scope of this site, but gave a good overview of Islam and those who oppress.